Source: ‘Nothing going on’ regarding Red Sox, Matt Kemp
|06.23.14 at 12:14 am ET|
According to a major league source, there is “nothing going on” regarding the Red Sox and a possible acquisition of Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp.
There had been reports that the Sox were heavily scouting Los Angeles, with Kemp as a potential target. But while the Red Sox continue to explore multiple avenues in regard to upgrading their outfield’s offensive production, according to the source there is no momentum regarding any deal involving the Dodgers outfielder.
Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told The Boston Globe that Kemp is not on the market.
Moving Kemp would, however, seem to make sense for the Dodgers, who are juggling the playing time of Yasiel Puig, Scott Van Slyke, Andre Ethier and Carl Crawford. The right-handed-hitting Kemp will have five years and $107 million on his current deal after the 2014 season.
The 29-year-old is hitting .278 with seven home runs and a .793 OPS. He has been hot as of late, hitting .410 with a 1.106 OPS in his last 10 games.
As for the possibility of the Red Sox acquiring Ethier, another major league source told WEEI.com at the end of May that the Red Sox didn’t have interest in the lefty hitter.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep
- Weekly Notes: Betts returns to Pawtucket, Owens wins ninth straight
- 2014 Draft recap: Sox sign 31 players, with impact potential at the top
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo, Johnson impress, Stankiewicz fans nine
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #61: Wild Turkeys, July 2, and the Draft
- Cup of Coffee: Owens stays strong; Ball delivers best yet
- Cup of Coffee: Steven Wright leads Pawtucket; Meyers powers Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Hassan stays hot; Victorino looks strong in rehab